Saturday, August 31, 2013

CC Enrichment Weeks 1-6

 
 
 
My approach to education is very much stick in the sand. With my kiddo only being in 1st grade my main focus is on writing, reading and math. But I do believe in the classical method of education and Classical Conversations model of education. I love using CC's memory work as a skeleton for all the other subjects and getting to put the "meat" on the skeleton as I see fit. 

I have been thinking about what I want our enrichment activities to be for the school year. I spent some time tonight writing down some ideas for the first 6 weeks. Mainly beyond review I want to dig into history, science and geography and we will build on art this year. (art will depend on what her tutor does too) BUT I still want to keep things relatively simple!

Week 1
History - Color picture of Charlemagne while reading timeline card
Geography - Sidewalk chalk world, race to the place game
Science - Look at biome map and learn a few facts about each biome

Week 2 
History - Read timeline cards that coorelate
Geography - Trace our Trivium Table 
Science -  Online game, guess which type of consumer I am describing

Week 3 
History - Read timeline card that coorelates 
Geography - make mini flags using tooth picks, stick on Trivium Tables
Science - color food chain sheet, play online game

Week 4 
History - Read timeline card that coorelstes 
Geography - Trace and locate
Science - Water cycle wheel and read about other cycles.

Week 5 
History - Joan of Arc coloring sheet, read timeline card
Geography - Identify on a map & learn famous feature
Science - Read about animal reactions 

Week 6 
History - Read timeline card that coorelates
Geography - identify & locate, look at pictures
Science - 6 form of pollutions actions, mention activity do action

We will also supplement with books from the library when available and other books we have on hand. Overall I feel like this is extremely doable for us and am looking forward to getting started. 

6 comments:

Heather F. said...

Heather @ A Nurse's Wildflowers here... I love your SIMPLE approach. It is soooo suppose to be the stick in the sand approach to classical education and you got it going on! I love your idea on sticking toothpick flags on the map...I might use this! I would stick some kind of clay or play dough to the bottom to keep them standing.

Kara said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I really try to keep it simple for my own sanity!! I am hoping to incorporate more art and music for kiddos. Art because my girls loves it and music so we can all learn to appreciate the beautiful things! I had planned to use sticky tack on the mini flags and just use my trivium tables. Thanks for stopping by!

Jen said...

This looks great! I have the CC foundations book and CD. I really need to start doing some. I'd like to be halfway so that if we choose to join in with the actual group we're not behind :-) I just didn't want to jump in feet first when I've only been here for five weeks.

Kara said...

I totally understand about not wanting to be behind but know kiddos can jump in at any point. I would recommend visiting your local community and chatting with the director too. I don't see any reason why you couldn't join at any point but at 6 weeks or 12 weeks may be a good place! We really LOVE CC. It is such a great addition to our school year!

Jenn said...

I LOVE this! I just do the memory work right now for K and I have been trying to think of other simple activities that could bring the memory work to life. Thanks for sharing this ~ it helps a lot! :)

Digital Marketing Delhi said...

very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.