Week 7 is *almost* complete. I have two kiddos who are napping because grumpy attitudes were abundant this afternoon! We have some things I would like to cover this afternoon and possibly tomorrow.
I decided on Sunday that I was "unplugging" the TV for the week. I realized I was using it as a crutch to not really engage my kiddos, especially the little guy. It has been a great week and the TV will probably remain unplugged. I confess to turning it on for 1 hour this week so I could watch Castle.
I decided on Sunday that I was "unplugging" the TV for the week. I realized I was using it as a crutch to not really engage my kiddos, especially the little guy. It has been a great week and the TV will probably remain unplugged. I confess to turning it on for 1 hour this week so I could watch Castle.
This is some of the fun these two had being TV free :)
It has finally cooled off, we have spent a few afternoons doing this!
In our homeschool this week…
After Miss K started asking questions about baptism and salvation we decided to put out original Bible lesson plans aside for now and her and I are going through Helping Children Understand the Gospel from Desiring God Children.There are 10 truths we are going to spend two days on each truth.I am going to reinforce the truths by having her do a notebook page and we will make a book at the end of the 10 truths we are learning.
This gal has also really picked up the pace with reading! She read me to sleep last week!
We ended up going to the big city this week to get little guy a hair cut (we have our family portraits in a few weeks) and Kyla did a great job getting the work done in the car. We also started piano lessons this week, she was really excited to pick those back up, it is something she really enjoys.
We also went on a nature walk/scavenger hunt with some friends. Who knew our local park houses Missouri's largest Sassafras Tree? Not me! If it's not on the play ground I don't know it exists! ;) While we were at the park the city workers were releasing fish into the pond. The kiddos enjoyed watching the fish being released into the pond.
We finished week 5 of Classical Conversations. We are loving CC!
We drill daily and sometimes go deeper.
A few small ways we went deeper:
Abstract castle painting
Watching videos about hibernation, adaptation, & migration and play a few games I found from googling. (that is a word right!?!?!)
Also found this website: Study Jams by Scholastic that has awesome short science videos that go along with what we are learning. *DISCLAIMER* You may disagree with some of the content found in these links so watch these before and with your kiddos to determine if you want to use them!
She will color in her prescript book while I read to her about Joan of Arc and the 100 Years War.
For geography we will look up the European cities and some prominent features. I will be using the geography cards from Melody @ And Here We Go as a jumping off point.
On of my favorite things about Classical Conversations is the opportunity to give weekly presentations, this week was a dramatic recitation, Kyla shared the story of The Three Little Pigs.
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
I am incredibly inadequate to give advice, but I shared this on my facebook this week and it is so very TRUE for me!I am thankful I get to stay at home with my kids and homeschool them, it is a sacrifice I am happy to make, that doesn't make it easy!
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
We have one more week of CC then we are on break! I am traveling to central OK to spend a few days with one of my best friends! I am looking forward to that!I’m cooking…
A few new things, but tonight is an oldie and a goodie, Sweet & Sour Chicken! The only difference is I use coconut oil instead of canola oil!I’m grateful for…
I’m praying for…
*our government**some friends with health concerns*
Something I am ogling or have my eye on…
I was looking at Song School Latin and when we were in the big city I found it on sale! Bonus! We will be starting that soon!A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
A very thought provoking read! Is Public School an Option by Albert MohlerI know I am probably a little late to the free audiobook party BUT I finally checked out Librivox and it is awesome! I have been listening to The Jungle Book, so good! That search also lead me to / Lit2go and Story Nory.
Anyone use these free audio book resources? What do you like or your children enjoy?
If your stopping by from one of the link ups please say hello so I can pop over and say hello!
Linking up with:









.jpg)
11 comments:
I love the abstract castles! I am going to have to remember that one :-)
What a great job with her presentation!!! That is so encouraging to see! :) We actually had a complete meltdown during presentations this week so I was in complete shambles and tears, as was he! Thank goodness we get to start each day anew! I will have to try the abstract castle art! That looks neat :)
Thanks Rebecca! It was fun :)
Hang in there, my daughter was shy and reserved and has come a LONG ways but I have seen kiddos like your lil guy who would end in tears and by the end of the year would at least get up in front and talk. Talk to your tutor about what some realistic expectations could be for you your little guy, taking baby steps. There is one little guy who sits in his chair to give presentations in the beginning!
We are looking forward to starting it! :) Thanks for stopping by!
I have been ITCHING to try Song School Latin so I can't wait to hear what you think! We just finished up week 4 of CC. This week, week 5 at home and next week we try it at the community that we will join in January :) I'm also praying for the government -- they need our prayers, a lot!
I am really looking forward to starting Song School Latin! I am thinking it will still be a few weeks away though! I am excited for you to visit the CC community, I hope it is a good fit for your family! Is there only one in your area?
I am glad you have options, each community takes on a life of its own. If for some reason the first community feels off visit the second one too :)
I admire you for "unplugging". We do that on occasion but really should do it more. Love the park photos. Have a great week!
Nice post, things explained in details. Thank You.
Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!
Post a Comment