Friday, February 12, 2010

Four-lane Free Friday

Justin has been taking Fridays off, last week we went to springfield after a stop off to eat at an out of the way place. One of my very favorite things to do is sightsee, I love to travel and I love road trips! Justin suggested we go do something today so I asked around and someone suggested going to Prairie State Park and Chicken Mary's in Pittsburg Kansas.  

I can assure you we never got lost today but I did wonder a few times as I had looked at a map and had a general since where we were going. I did cheat and take interstates a few times but the majority of the trip was spent on two lane roads, many in the county. It was fun and I am glad my husband has confidence in me to navigate, however I do think a GPS is in my future. 

To get to Prairie State Park the way we were going we went through Lamar, MO. Lamar is the birthplace of Harry S. Truman who was the 33rd President (32nd man in office). Justin LOVES presidents and history so really it was the highlight of his day! President Truman lived in the house a short time before his family moved to Independence, MO. The house has been restored and the furniture is not the Truman's but it is comparative to the time period when he was born. The room with the cradle was the room Harry was born in and the visitor log at the bottom was signed by Mr. Truman on a visit back to Lamar and his birthplace. 


We left Lamar and head to Prairie State Park. While on the way we saw a coyote and learned my Honda Civic can do a little four-wheeling!! To get to the state park we did have to take a few country roads. Twice I thought I was going to end up pushing to get us out but God was gracious to us and our shoes and we made it, but not without a little mud to prove was had fun! At the park we only saw two buffalo and no elk but we look forward to going back and doing some hiking to see the herd! 



Following the state park we visited Chicken Mary's in Pittsburg, KS and then headed to Joplin for a stop by Hobby Lobby and Shakey's Frozen Custard! All in all it was a fantastic Friday to enjoy my family! 

Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

Grace~The Mommy On the Bus said...

What?! You were SOOO close to us! Next time we'll have to meet up! Now I'm going to go cry... :)