Friday, March 26, 2010

God-Centered Holiness

Along with my daily Bible readings I am reading some sort of short, thought provoking meditation. In February I read Comforts From the Cross by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick and I just started Holiness Day by Day by Jerry Bridges. 
My reading for today was titled God-Centered Holiness.  

Many believers want to be holy, strive to be holy but we don't experience it daily! We struggle with our sin and we constantly feel defeated! Bridges states, and I agree, our first problem is our attitude toward sin is self-centered not God-centered. We tend to focus on beating sin and claiming victory rather than the fact that our sin grieves God. We don't like sin because we fail... when in reality we should hate sin because it is offensive to God. 

Bridges reminds us that God wants us to walk in obedience not victory! Obedience orients us toward God and victory is oriented toward self. To walk in holiness we must pursue obedience, not victory! The good news is that victory is a by-product of obedience. 

Believer, let focus on honoring God by following him obediently and rejoice in the victory we are granted over sin! When our eyes are on the Savior, they are far from self!

3 comments:

Thad Noyes said...

Great words, Kara. I like the new look. We think of you guys often and continue to pray for you.

Laura said...

Wow that's very encouraging... is that a book of "shorter" length devotions? I'm trying to start collecting things to read once the baby arrives that are not so lengthy but still full of truth

Kara said...

Thanks Thad and Laura, I thought it was encouraging too!

Laura it is great, one page! You can also follow along online (however I didn't start at the beginning of the year so my reading is off!)http://navlists.org/holiness/