Thursday, March 04, 2010

Yummy Chicken Salad

I love chicken salad. If we go out to lunch at a "girly place" I almost always order chicken salad! I love when it has nuts and grapes. A few weeks ago I went in search of a yummy chicken salad recipe that had those two things, it was nearly impossible. So I found this Basic Chicken Salad recipe and it was a great place to start. 

I scaled it to 4 servings and it made more than 4 sandwiches but here is what I did.  

1 Cup Mayo (I used miracle whip)
2 T lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper (I just added some, unmeasured)
4 cups chopped cooked chicken
Onion (just a little bit, what you think you might like)
2 ounces Chopped Walnuts
2 Stalks Celery Chopped
Handful of grapes halved

I took 4 chicken breasts and defrosted them and then cubed them and boiled. Then I added the cooked chicken to my food processor and shredded it. After that I added the onion, celery, mayo, lemon juice, and walnuts to the food processor and mixed it until it was mixed through and the consistency was how I wanted. (you should add your pepper too, I just forget) Then I add to bowl, add grapes, mix well and refrigerate!

I usually toast two pieces of whole wheat bread for mine, yummy!! 

enjoy!

3 comments:

Laura said...

yum! I like chicken salad too... I have a recipe that uses cucumber, apples, and cashews another good combo - I like your idea about using the food processor, I'll have to try that next time

Jennifer said...

I know you probably will never be over "that" way, but there is a place in Alton, Illinois, which is just across the river from St. Louis, called Josephine's Tea Room. A VERY girly place, famous for their chicken salad, and they make it just the way you like it, with nuts and grapes. Not my preference, but everyone else always oders that when we go there, and they love it. Yours does sound good, I could just leave out the nuts and grapes, I have a hard time mixing fruit with savory, I'm just quirky that way, lol.

Michelle "Picklewart" said...

I too am a big chicken salad fan... complete with the nuts and grapes. Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to use yours next time I make some!