Tuesday, January 08, 2008

OKC Bombing Memorial

We visited the bombing memorial while visiting in OKC. Here are a few pics.
About the bombing, April 19, 1995 at 9:02 am a Bomb went off in the Alfred P Murrah Federal Building. Killing 168 men, women, and children. There is a gate on each end of the reflecting pool. One says 9:01 representing the innocence of the city and the other says 9:03 represents the time that everything changed in OKC and around the world. There is a shallow reflecting pool. The chairs represent the people who were killed. The smaller chairs are for the children. The tree is called the survivor tree. It withstood the blast. My mom was telling me that when OKC had really bad ice the city did everything they could to keep that tree alive and well because of its signifigance.

These pictures were taken during the day.. at night time the memorial is beautiful!! There is more to it all. If you are interested check out:]
When I was in Middle School we went to the bombing within weeks of the incident. I tried to dig up some pictures but cannot find any. It was crazy and I think this memorial is a great way to remember the destruction and devastation of the lives that were lost. I have never been to NYC so I cannot imagine what ground zero would be like!

Thanks for looking!!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

It warms my heart to your pictures. I am far away from my beloved home state. I will never forget that morning. I will never forget the days and weeks that followed. I will always cry when I hear mention of that day and every April 19th, I will hold my boys and kiss them. I will cry when I put them to bed and be thankful that I have them. I will go to bed thinking of the mothers and fathers who lost innocent little babies in the worst way. I will go to bed wondering why God allowed my family to be spared the grief that fell on so many of our neighbors. I will pray for my fellow Oklahomans and I will pray that someday, my boys will fully comprehend just why their mama has taught them that police officers and firefighters are the breathing soul of our nation, they are the heros that we love, they are forever in our hearts. Thank you for sharing. I actually really needed to see a glimpse of home. Thanks.

Kara said...

I am glad they touched you and brought you back 'home'

Blessings to you!