There are days when I wake up to the gentle boom of thunder and a bedroom that is still dark when it should be light. I hear the light tapping on the window as I roll over and close my eyes. I breathe a prayer of thankfulness for the rain that washes over the earth and the rest that I received that restores joy to my soul.Today was one of those days, for that I am thankful!
You see this week I have struggled to find joy in the mundane, to fight guilt and condemnation that was nailed to the cross, and find rest in my Savior.
The daily ins and outs of laundry, making lunches, sweeping the floor, folding the laundry, wiping noses and bottoms, putting the way the laundry, doing this dishes can either be a chore that is done out of duty or delight. Duty because it is my "job" or delight because it is what God has called me to in this season of my life. This week it has been out of duty.
I have fought condemnation and guilt about not getting up earlier than my children, not doing "enough" or any school with my 5 year old. Letting them watch to much TV. Having to spend time on the computer vs with them because of editing/website work. I have felt guilty.
I have fought all these things in my own strength and thus I have lacked much joy, peace and rest that is found in laying my life at the feet of Jesus.
As I crawled into bed tired and weary last night, more weary than tired, I needed rest, a rest that only God can supply. Rest that is found only in trusting God with the mundane, confessing my failings to Jesus and relying on the Holy Spirit to bring forth change, throwing off condemnation because in Christ there therefore no condemnation, and taking Jesus' yoke upon myself.
I am thankful God knows my heart and granted me rest and peace. I am thankful for the Holy Spirit and how He opens my eyes to my sin and causes me to cast them aside. I am thankful for Jesus' words, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

No comments:
Post a Comment