The closer I get to Judah's due date the more I start thinking of labor and delivery and especially the first go around with Kyla. I decided I wanted to copy and paste this from another site so I always have a copy of it!
Kyla Jane’s Birth Story
We had our 40 week doctor appointment scheduled for Thursday. We had a growth ultrasound and an appointment. At the ultrasound the tech told us she was 9.5 with a pound either way because of all the fluid. My doctor gave me two choices: 1) elective c-section or 2) induction. I decided to go for the induction because if their was a problem then we could go c-section if necessary.
I had originally planned to try and go all natural (meaning no pain meds, no epidural). I knew with an induction it would be very difficult to do but I wanted to still try. I have a friend who is a doula (birthing attendant) and she was going to be present at the labor and delivery.
The induction was scheduled for Friday, May 11th. I was suppose to call at 5:00 am to see if they had a bed available. They told me to come in at 7:00 am. So that’s what we did. We got there at 7:00 am and got checked in and got things rolling. At 8:00 am they got me started on the penicillin (I was GBS +) and pitocin. When I got there I was still 3 cm dilated. At 1:45 pm the doctor came in and checked me, I was a 4, she also broke my water! Which I hated, not because it was painful but it was just gross to me! Within 15 minutes my contractions were on top of each other and very painful. I labored without any pain relief until 3:30 pm. I didn't think that I could keep going if I didn’t get relief. I was afraid pushing would be out of the question and I was afraid that it would all end in a c-section. I got the epidural and it was really nice. In the 2 hours I went from 4 to 6 cm dilated. After I got the epidural I rested and relaxed and talked to mom, dad, Justin, and Allison (doula). It was nice. I went from a 6 to 8 from 3:30-6:00. I was starting to get uncomfortable and was wondering what was going on. At 9:00 I was checked and was 10 cm and at a +3 station. It was time to push. We kicked dad out of the room and started getting down to business.
Pushing was nice because it was a way to relieve pressure. Justin had one leg (he did incredible by the way) and Allison had the other leg and mom was there for support! I pushed for awhile and she was stuck under my pubic bone and she was not turned the right way. It took a really long time to get her past that bone. It wasn’t painful (still had the epidural but it was wearing off) but hard work. She finally got past the bone and started making her descent. Everyone was telling me they could see her head and I didn’t believe them. So finally they got me a mirror so I could see what was going on. Sure enough I could see her head! Anyways.. I pushed for 2 hours and my beautiful 9 lbs 2 oz baby was born into this world. She was 21 ¼ inches long and born at 11:38 pm. The placed her on my belly and Justin cut the cord. She was purple and not crying but making noise and such. They took her over to the warmer and started getting to work. She scored an 8/9 on her apgars (counted off for color). Before they took her I said to Justin, She looks like you! After they finished sewing me up (had a 2nd degree tear) I got to hold her and it was awesome!! She was wide awake for a few hours. We started nursing within the hour and she did a good job! At about 1:30 we made it to our room and the rest is history!
We had our 40 week doctor appointment scheduled for Thursday. We had a growth ultrasound and an appointment. At the ultrasound the tech told us she was 9.5 with a pound either way because of all the fluid. My doctor gave me two choices: 1) elective c-section or 2) induction. I decided to go for the induction because if their was a problem then we could go c-section if necessary.
I had originally planned to try and go all natural (meaning no pain meds, no epidural). I knew with an induction it would be very difficult to do but I wanted to still try. I have a friend who is a doula (birthing attendant) and she was going to be present at the labor and delivery.
The induction was scheduled for Friday, May 11th. I was suppose to call at 5:00 am to see if they had a bed available. They told me to come in at 7:00 am. So that’s what we did. We got there at 7:00 am and got checked in and got things rolling. At 8:00 am they got me started on the penicillin (I was GBS +) and pitocin. When I got there I was still 3 cm dilated. At 1:45 pm the doctor came in and checked me, I was a 4, she also broke my water! Which I hated, not because it was painful but it was just gross to me! Within 15 minutes my contractions were on top of each other and very painful. I labored without any pain relief until 3:30 pm. I didn't think that I could keep going if I didn’t get relief. I was afraid pushing would be out of the question and I was afraid that it would all end in a c-section. I got the epidural and it was really nice. In the 2 hours I went from 4 to 6 cm dilated. After I got the epidural I rested and relaxed and talked to mom, dad, Justin, and Allison (doula). It was nice. I went from a 6 to 8 from 3:30-6:00. I was starting to get uncomfortable and was wondering what was going on. At 9:00 I was checked and was 10 cm and at a +3 station. It was time to push. We kicked dad out of the room and started getting down to business.
Pushing was nice because it was a way to relieve pressure. Justin had one leg (he did incredible by the way) and Allison had the other leg and mom was there for support! I pushed for awhile and she was stuck under my pubic bone and she was not turned the right way. It took a really long time to get her past that bone. It wasn’t painful (still had the epidural but it was wearing off) but hard work. She finally got past the bone and started making her descent. Everyone was telling me they could see her head and I didn’t believe them. So finally they got me a mirror so I could see what was going on. Sure enough I could see her head! Anyways.. I pushed for 2 hours and my beautiful 9 lbs 2 oz baby was born into this world. She was 21 ¼ inches long and born at 11:38 pm. The placed her on my belly and Justin cut the cord. She was purple and not crying but making noise and such. They took her over to the warmer and started getting to work. She scored an 8/9 on her apgars (counted off for color). Before they took her I said to Justin, She looks like you! After they finished sewing me up (had a 2nd degree tear) I got to hold her and it was awesome!! She was wide awake for a few hours. We started nursing within the hour and she did a good job! At about 1:30 we made it to our room and the rest is history!
---
and because no post is complete with out photos

3 comments:
I love birth stories!! All 3 of my kids births were wonderful, and I am sad I don't get to go through that experience again. Won't be long b 4 Judah's birth story will be on here, very exciting!
Yay! I love reading birth stories! Even if I pretty much already knew yours. :)
Pretty sweet. And now it's time to post another one!! YAY!
Post a Comment