Sipping a glass of orange juice this morning I realized today is the 22nd day of April. Which for most means Earth Day, but for me means Life Day. On April 22nd, 1997 was the day I trusted in Christ for salvation. It was the day life changed for me, it was the day I took Christianity seriously. I want to share with you my story of redemption!
Let me back up to the time before that day. Growing up I had been in and out of church, mainly out. I had friends and neighbors who I would go to church with at times, I knew what church was and I had an idea who Jesus was. In junior high I started attending church more regularly. Generally the local FBC church on Sundays and on Wednesdays I went to the "big" youth group at a different church. Through those countless services, Sunday School lessons, and teachers of God's word I began to see who I was and what I needed. I felt a huge void in my life, something that wasn't filled by family, friends, sports, popularity, or any other thing the world could offer. I finally learned that it was God who could fill that void and created that void in my life so that I would know I couldn't live life without Him. Now I was 14 when I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior. I had thoughts and opinions about life and high school that was already formed based on what was the social norm. I figured I would be one of those girls that would go to an occasional party, have a drink now and again. Date a boy, get serious and probably engage in premarital sex. That was the cultural norm for small town america at the time and I thought it was for me... until God's mighty grace intervened in my life in such a REAL way!
On April 22nd, I was debating between going to the revival at the local FBC or to the baseball field to watch some friends play... I was all set to go to the fields. As we were driving into town I asked mom to take me to the church instead. I remember I was wearing a gray t-shirt (softball shirt) and jeans. It was also the big ice cream sundae day at the revival. You know the kind that you take many tubs of ice cream and fill up a small swimming pool! Let me assure you, as inciting as the ice cream was it was Christ that drew me. I had been dealing with conviction to repent and be saved for a few weeks. Even the Easter cantata that year had really spoken to me!
To be honest, I have no idea what the preacher preached on. All I knew is that I could not put off what I knew God was working in my heart. I went forward and the pastors wife shared with me the plan of salvation and God called me to Himself. It was an emotional experience for me not so much because I was afraid, but because I was set free.
I will be the first to tell you just because I am trusting Christ things have not been perfect, nor have I. I, just like you, have a sin nature that is at war with the Spirit the God has given me. But the great news is that God sent Jesus to proclaim victory over sin and death!
I was baptized in November and became and active member of FBC. God used a solid youth group with a Godly youth minister to teach me that His word is the ultimate authority and that if I stood on that no other ground would be sinking sand! That truth in itself has led to me stay pure for my husband, look for and marry a godly spouse, and seek to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which I have been called.
I can assure you life has not been easy, nor am I perfect but I do trust in a Sovereign God who is working good for those who are called according to His purpose! Be encouraged if you have trusted in God, like I have, He is working for your good and His glory, no matter the trial or temptation you may be facing.
Look to Jesus today and live!
2 comments:
I LOVE reading other's testimonies, awesome!
Kara, you are an awesome sister in Christ and I'm so thankful that God let our paths cross! Have a wonderful 'birth' day! I loved reading your testimony!!!
Post a Comment