Finally got around to writing this up...
Judah’s birth story really probably should start the weekend prior to his arrival. Saturday November 6th mom and dad came to visit and brought all the nursery furniture and the cradle where he would be sleeping. We got the furniture in, and the kids room arranged.
Sunday November 7th was the day of Judah’s baby shower at the church. I had friends and family in town and our amazing congregation blessed our family with an abundance of gifts and new things for baby Judah. It had been a busy two days and I was feeling every bit of 36.5 weeks pregnant.
On Monday, we finished painting the dresser I had been working on and I sorted through everything from the shower and decided what needed to be returned due to it being a duplicate or too small (because he was going to be a 9 lb baby at full term). After all my sorting we made a trip to Joplin to return things, run some errands and to pick out his coming home outfit. We let Kyla pick it out. After debating over several outfits she decided on a white sleeper with brown puppy dogs along with a bib.
Tuesday was a serious day of nesting. After a trip to the library for story time I came home and got busy. I sorted through and sized Judah’s close. Pulled out and washed up the few newborn things and the 0-3 months stuff. I also washed an put away all the towels, burp cloths, receiving blankets and other baby things. I put new hardware on the now finished dresser and put shelf paper in the drawers. I put away all of Kyla and Judah’s clothes. I also confess to rearranging furniture in our bedroom. By the end of the day I was tired!!
Wednesday rolled around and that is the day for our afterschool program. Still feeling good I did my usual role there, PE teacher . On this day I had the kids do various relay races. These relay races included duck walks, bear crawls and crab walks and of course I had to demonstrate a few times that if I could duck walk at ALMOST 37 weeks pregnant these elementary students could do it too!!
It was once I slowed down Wednesday I felt a gush of fluid that was different from what I had ever felt. I kept an eye on it and got off my feet. Later that evening the same thing happened again. Judah was very active in my belly and I knew I would be off my feet all night so I opted to call the doctor in the morning to change my appointment from Friday to Thursday (the next day).
Thursday, November 11th , 37 weeks pregnant I called and got in to see my doctor. Kyla really wanted to go and hear brother’s heart beat so we all packed up and headed to the doctor’s office. After listening to the heartbeat Kyla and Justin headed back out to the waiting room while the doctor checked to see if my water was broke. After checking me she was unsure if my water had broken, if it had she felt like it was a high leak. She brought in an ultrasound machine and checked the fluid around the baby. The fluid around Judah was measuring low. Judah was measuring over 7lbs and I was 3cm dilated and having contractions just not regular. My doctor sent my directly to the hospital to start the induction process. After a few tears, (hey, I was hormonal and pregnant and not prepared… I had yet to pack my hospital bag among other things) we headed over to the hospital. On our way to the hospital we called my mom and got the ball rolling, she was on her way, she called GG (my grandma) to come watch Kyla and dad was going to head up later. While I was sitting in admissions getting checked in I made out a detailed list to send with Justin so he could pack the hospital bag.
After admissions we headed directly to labor and delivery. After getting settled in the room and answering many questions I was hooked up to an IV drip of antibiotics because I was GBS +, that was approximately 1:15 pm. Kyla and I shared a lunch of turkey sandwhich and fruit and then her and daddy left to meet GG and pack the bag. I was left to rest and wait a few hours until they started the pitocin. At 6:15 pm the pitocin drip was started and the contractions began. Here is where I have to pause and give huge PROPS to my nurses. The main nurse that was there the whole time was amazing. Her and I talked about my labor and delivery before they started the pitocin and she really helped me to have the labor I desired (which was as natural as can be). We bumped the pitocin every 20 minutes until my contractions were close enough and long enough to get the job done. She continually checked on my pain and encouraged me all the while. At 8:45 pm the doctor broke my bulging bag of water and was dilated to 4cm. The contractions were still bearable and I felt really good about how things were going. I spent some time on the birthing ball and it was amazing. I know that sounds silly but it was the best position for me to labor in at that time. I was able to lean over onto the bed and rest between contractions. I was checked again at 9:20 pm and I was at 6cm. Somewhere between 9:30-10:00 pm sitting wasn’t working so I stood for a few contractions. Needing another change I laid in the bed for a few contractions and was checked again and at 10:00 pm I was 7-8cm. Going through transition was rough, it was hard, I mean the hardest thing I have ever done. I opted for some staydol in my iv drip to take the edge off. It was wonderful, it allowed me to rest between contractions. At 10:15 I was feeling immense pressure and was at 9cm. The doctor was called in and I was squatting at the end of the bed trying to get to 10 cm. The doctor suggested laying on my back and pushing though a contraction. One contraction later I was at 10cm. I pushed through a few more contractions, (I am not very good at pushing!!) with a room full of cheerleaders. By this time the whole nursing staff was preparing for his arrival and cheering me on. Judah arrived at 10:48 pm weighing 7lbs 11oz and 20 inches long. Pushing him out was the absolute best feeling after all that pain!! It was an amazing moment! He was immediately placed on my belly, he looks a lot more like me where Kyla looked like daddy. Justin was by my side the whole time supporting me and rooting me on.
It was an awesome birth experience, painful… yes. Worth it, yes! The recovery compared to Kyla’s was quicker and I felt better immediately. I am incredibly thankful to my doctor and the hospital nursing staff for managing my experience so well.
4 comments:
Oh wow Kara! For the joy set before us we endure...and what is more joyful than a new baby?! I'm SOOO happy for you and proud of you too!
Yay another birthstory! I thought going natural was a completely different experience too. Soooo much better!
Congratulations!
That is wonderful :) I"m so happy you got to have such a great labor experience! God is so good
So glad things turned out well for you. I'm glad they actually let you push even though you weren't fully dialated. My nurses tried to tell me not to but at that point I pretty much didn't care. Congratulations on the new little boy. They are so much fun!
Post a Comment