Saturday, October 27, 2007

Content in my skin...

Tonight as I was driving I caught myself attempting to turn myself into someone else... in my mind I was saying things like "I should dress a certain way, I should drink coffee more because it is sophisticated, I want to be trendy..." ya see where this is going. And I realized I am not being content in who God has created me to be! I am uniquely me and you cannot be me and so therefore I should stop trying to be you! RIGHT?!?

So why is that so hard for me to do? I am not against bettering myself for the sake of Christ but I so often better myself just to be better! So instead of focusing so much on what I want to be I should focus on who God has created me to be and who He is in my life.

So this is my call for help... help me to be content in my skin!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news I am dry! I have been in a rut that feels like it is only getting deeper. I need to pick up the Word and spend some good time with my heavenly Father and yet I neglect it for the 'more important' things! I suppose they really are more important if that is what my time is spent on! So pray for me, encourage me, hold me accountable! Thank you!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I can completely relate. It has taken me years to get where I am now...just barely starting to get comfortable in my skin. I say barely because I constantly catch myself trying to do or say things that might help me be like someone else so that maybe I'd have more friends, be liked more, etc. But it's such exhausting work, isn't it?

I honestly had to smile when I read this, though, because I thought I was the only one at church who could possibly be going through that. It makes me feel less alone in that battle.

Terry Delaney said...

Kara, it was nice to see you and Justin today in chapel.

Regarding your post:

So the question becomes, what have you read the past few days and how has it impacted you?

Sisters, y'all are not in this alone (I think it is funny that I said y'all and alone in the same sentence). Anyway, we all hit dry spells. It does not excuse them, but it does make the "not-so-dry" spells all the more sweet!

Perhaps we (woman-woman, man-man, or Sunday School class members to one another) should set up an e-mail accountablity. We did this at the church where I was youth minister and it worked fairly well until Krista and I and a couple others left the group. Just a thought. God bless.